Typical of many schools established in Singapore's early years, its crest consists of a torch with a flame as well as an open book. They symbolise how enlightenment is achieved through reading and learning, a message that is reinforced by the school's motto "Knowledge is Power". It was designed by former teacher Kwek Ah Kow.
The school began in 1958 as Elling Boys' School with English as its main language of instruction. Two years later, it was renamed Elling North Primary School when it began accepting girls as well.