Dimensions: 260 x 188 mm
Printer: Tiger Press
The department store C.K. Tang started in the 1920s when Tang Choon Keng arrived in Singapore and started selling wares out of a tin trunk. In 1932, he set up shop named after himself in River Valley before expanding into a larger department store along Orchard Road in 1958.
It is this store featured on this advertisement on the back cover of 新加坡(Singapore), Issue 98, a magazine published by the People's Action Party. Its distinctive green-tiled roof was modelled after the Imperial Palace in the Forbidden City in Beijing, China.
Collection of Chee Fook Tuck